[Wolves] Installed Programs and SuSE 9.2 Pro

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 12:28:20 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 11:15, Kevanf1 wrote:

> I might be wrong, and feel free to say so if I am, but I think SuSE do
> have the latest programs on their website.  They are not on the YOU
> list though.  You need to navigate through the site and they are then
> available as either http or ftp downloads.  I think Peter gave me the
> URL for them but it's on my other PC.

Tom Mortimer-Jones gave excellent, explicit advice and guidance with regards
packages that are available but outside the current release version, so just
to repeat what he said.

People who use PROPRIETARY software;
This means stuff like;
Suse.
Mandrake.
Redhat.
Etc.

These types of distros are 'Pay for' releases they generally are a little bit
behind with regards to the 'Free' Distros this is because most of the 'Pay
for' company's want your money if they start putting stuff into their
releases that is brand new and the package starts making you're Suse crash
all over the place your not going to be very happy in effect what they are
saying is....

"OK here is Suse 9.2 it comes with these packages it is a good STABLE product
pay me some money"

While they do have the latest versions (ie Gimp) they are deliberately stored
in a different directory what that is saying is....

"Look we know this is available, we're testing it, if you want it you can have
it, but we reckon you aught to wait until Suse 9.3 if its in the 9.3 release
then we think its OK if its not in the 9.3 release then we arn't happy with
the package".

Using free Linux like Fedora is like living on the edge your system can crash
and burn at any minute if like me you install every updated package.

So there are two major things to remember...

1. As Tom said don't get confused by the word 'Update' this means different
things to different distros, under Suse it means appling a patch under Fedora
it means installing an RPM.

2. Don't confuse Free with Proprietary, the free community will always be
ahead as they are the test bed for everything the 'free users' understand
that any RPM, dpkg, source file may have bugs and problems, as a paying
customer you don't expect problems.

If you want to mess around with the latest stuff stick it on Ubantu or
something free thats what they are there for.

Finally just because its 'new' that doesn't mean you have to have it.

Lecture over :-)

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.