[Wolves] mysql questions

Jono Bacon jonobacon at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 11:48:30 GMT 2005

Hi,

> > baza at barbelith:/etc/mysql$ sh debian-start
> > Checking for crashed MySQL tables in the
> background.
> > baza at barbelith:/etc/mysql$ /usr/bin/mysqladmin:
> connect to server at
> > 'localhost' failed
> > error: 'Access denied for user: 'baza at localhost'
> (Using password: YES)'
> >
> > Any advice would be -very- welcome.

Your problem here is certainly because you are not
authenticated. A few notes:

 - Firstly, start and stop MySQL with:

     /etc/init.d/mysql start
     /etc/init.d/mysql stop

 - The default user in a new installation on Debian is
root with no password. Try logging in with:

    mysql -u root -p

Then press enter when asked for a password. You should
then be logged in and see a 'mysql>' prompt.

 - You should really install and use phpMyAdmin; it
makes dealing with MySQL much easier. :D

  Jono

Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician