[Wolves] Silly question but...

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 15:46:02 GMT 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

>--- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>So, what is the difference between a router,
>>>a broadband router
>>>and router with an ADSL modem on board.
>>>

>>Ok, cheers guys.  I'm not going to lie and say "ooh,
>>yes I understand
>>that perfectly" because I'm still not 100%.
>>

>A router routes traffic from one network to another. A
>broadband router (cable or ADSL) forwards traffic from
>one network (your LAN) to another network (I assume to
>whatever device connects you to the Internet). They
>commonly have some ethernet ports on the back for your
>LAN.
>
>A combined router and modem is the same as the above,
>just that it has the ability to connect to the
>Internet aswell, making the modem one of your network
>interfaces.
>
>I'm not sure of the point of broadband routers without
>a modem built in, I guess it's for when you already
>have an ethernet modem, I doubt you could plug in a
>USB modem.

A broadband router for the likes of Blueyonder cable broadband doesn't
NEED a modem
as I understand it because the service arrives at your house in a coax
cable (in the same cable as your tv)
and so it is effectively just ethernet cable. The cable 'modem' isn't
really therefore a modem, the name is just
retained to allow customers to get a feel for what the device does
without having to understand it.
The 'cable modem' is really just a small dedicated pc with a network
card pointing at BY and one or more
pointing into the home lan.