[Wolves] Canon printers and Linux

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 20:51:14 GMT 2005

Peter Cannon wrote:

>On Sunday 20 March 2005 15:13, Andy Wootton wrote
>
>>You won't get much of a defence for Microsoft-only printers here because
>>the position is indefensible.
>>

>I'm not for or against Microsoft

Neither am I. I'm against their current business practices and the legal
framework that allows them to operate like this. I disliked IBM just as
much when they had a mainframe monopoly and behaved the same way.

> but I cant help thinking if someone hates
>Microsoft that much then don't use it! its perfectly simple.

No it isn't. In markets where there is a successful open(ish) standard
- PostScript, MP3, DNS, Hayes AT-command modems etc. Microsoft introduce
a competing standard and because of their huge market share, undermine
the established standard and apply patents to kill competition. The
effect is to reduce choice to those that don't follow The One True Path.

>There are lots of people all over the world who have no trace of MS products
>on their systems so the argument of "My super 2000 printer don't work under
>Linux because evil microsoft forced them to make one that only works with
>Windows" just doesent hold water.

But show me the PC hardware manufacturer that doesn't bother to support
their kit under Microsoft. The market is skewed in Microsoft's favour.

>>Using the excuse of lowering hardware
>>costs, Microsoft and the collaborating printer manufacturers have
>>created a hardware standard to support their software monopoly.
>>

>There is no monopoly anymore people who buy Microsoft products want to buy
>them, no one puts a gun to their head there ain't three hairy neanthadols
>called big Dave, Razor and Mad dog hanging around forcing them to buy those
>products.

That depends what you mean by a monopoly. I think economists usually
regard 40% as sufficient share to manipulate a market. (if anyone
actually knows a figure not picked out of the air then please feel free
to correct me.) Most home PC customers who buy Microsoft products buy
them because that is what they use at work or what their kids use at school.

>As far as this conspiracy theory regarding collusion between MS and hardware
>manufacturers is concerned I agree 6 or 7 years ago there may have been some
>truth in it but not now!

Strange then that HP temporarily dropped out of the Linux PC market
until the EU started anti-monopoly action. It was almost as if they were
being put under pressure by Microsoft.

>Those people who still think thats true are clinging to an out of date
>argument to defend their OS of choice.

I use Linux, BSD, AIX, OS X and they make me use Windows XP. I'm
defending open standards.

>Because the argument is out of date its a floored argument.
>
>Hardware costs are in free fall because scum bags get Vietnamise, Chinease,
>Koreans and Indians to work for 50p a year and all the shit they can eat.

And chickens are living in misery producing regular sized brown eggs.
All true, sad but irrelevant! ;-)

>So I'm afraid the argument of;
>--<insert>--
>

>>Using the excuse of lowering hardware
>>costs, Microsoft and the collaborating printer manufacturers have
>>created a hardware standard to support their software monopoly.
>>

>--<end>--
>Again is a floored argument unless of course people think Bill Gates said to
>HP etc "Hey guys get your arse's to Korea they're all peasants and you can
>pay em peanuts and make a fortune"
>
>Printer manufacturers are not interested in Linux, yet, because they see no
>profit in it but even that statement isn't true as HP are producing a range
>of Linux compliant equipment.
>
>The run of the mill 'Honest John's supper 2000 printer is going to be made for
>the MS market because they know thats where it will sell, no dark deals
>behind closed doors, no MS hit men planting a horses head at the bottom of
>the bed of an errant manufacturer just simple market forces more people use
>MS than Linux so MS gets the printer

Q: why are there 2 markets? A: Microsoft split it in two - one big piece
that they could control and a small bit they hope will die.

I didn't suggest that MS 'are to blame for' all reduced prices; just
that when they introduced 'Windows printers' and 'WinModems' they said
it was to lower the cost to the consumer. I don't believe them.

Woo