[Wolves] Suse 9.3

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 07:13:24 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 23:15, Jayne Heger wrote:

> I miss my VMware, *sob*, I had a Linux version though, it was the
> Express version which suited my needs at the time to run Win98 under
> it, and it worked beautifully until I upgraded my SuSE to version 8,
> (I'm now Version 9),  trying to configure it to work on version 8 =>
> was a pain, in  the end I just gave up as there's no support for it
> anymore anyway.

Wow so its not just me then? I got hold of a copy that was supposedly
specifically for Suse, it installed fine but refused to run! That was the one
of the reasons for choosing the Windows version.

Actually there must be something strange with Suse I did a test install and it
screwed VMware up the Suse install ran fine and VMware-tools installed fairly
easy but when I tried to install Debian and one or two other Linux based
distro's VMware kept trying to install VMware-tools as Suse which of course
failed. I had to delete all the virtual machines and do an overlay
installation.

> In any case now on my dual boot I run Windows 2000 professional so
> Vmware Express wouldn't suit my needs now, and I need Windows 2000 for
> SQL Server and such like.
> When I get round to it I'll buy another copy of Vmware as I was very
> impressed with it.

Take a look at version 5 you can download a beta its due for general release
soon you get the beta on the understanding you give some feed back its
licensed for 30 days.

I've downloaded it at work it has some new features the one I really like is
VMware-tools has a new RPM option which can be done from within X where as if
you use the script version it can only be installed without X.

They claim it has better support for Suse now, there is an extensive how-to
with regards installation however I only play with the Windows version.

I'm not bothered which machine is the host and what is the guest so long as I
can run both at the same time I don't care --the end justifies the means. :-)

--
Regards
Peter Cannon
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk