[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Tim Childe tim.childe.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:40:11 BST 2005

Hello

I've finally got around to posting here, but I suppose I better
introduce myself first !

After years of on and off attempts at Linux, I've decided to give it
ago again.  Mainly due to some bloke dropping in at our college to
talk at my students and saying how good Ubuntu was compared to the old
stuff !!

More personal waffle, blah blah blah......

So anyway, I've installed Ubuntu, and it's going sooooooooo much
better than my other attempts.

However, I have some problems that need urgent fixing.
If you could help me with these I promise to try and work out the less
urgent ones myself first ;-)

1) GRUB insists on booting Ubuntu as default, but I need it to default
to my Win98SE system.  My 4 year old only knows to hit the power
button, wait, click on the big E !!
I've tried editing the entries in the options on startup, but they
don't save.  Is there a file somewhere like boot.ini in NT ???

2) Ubuntu doesn't mount my FAT drives.  I got this working with RH a
couple of years ago.  I remember it was MOUNT something or other, and
to make it automatic I put the lines in a file somewhere.  I've failed
with my attempts at MOUNT, and can't remember the file even if I
remember how to do it !!
Without my FAT drives i have to boot Win98 to do my work - which
defeats the object.

My system has 2 HDDs
First has 3 partitions (C,D, & E in Windows)
Second is just for Linux and has whatever Ubuntu did when it installed

I have a few more problems, but those 2 are vital and urgent.

Help

Tim.C