[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 02:00:18 BST 2005

Just realised that this is confusing, it is now
edited. I've removed the > symbols where I edited.

--- Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Tim Childe <tim.childe.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, I can't find my edited fstab to see if the
> > numbers have changed
> > - the one currently in /etc/fstab isn't the one I
> > put the exttra
> > drives in!!!!

If you mount your Ubuntu / partition /dev/hdf1 as
being on /mnt/hdf1 or whatever you like, the above
file would be at /mnt/hdf1/etc/fstab as it tacks the
hard disk on to the live CDs filesystem which is
entirely in RAM.

> You could run grub-install again by editing
> /mnt/hdf1/boot/grub/menu.list and then running
>
> /mnt/hdf1/sbin/grub-install /dev/hde
>
> assuming /dev/hde is the boot drive in the BIOS,
> under
> Windows that would contain C:\ D:\ and E:\ etc if I
> remember your explanation correctly.

If Woo is right and he might be (Woo - yeah. Woo -
yeah), is there a chance that you added a 1 to the end
of grub-install /dev/hde ? Making it write to the
Windows partition instead of the mbr? If fdisk /mbr
still leaves a grub thingy then it's possible.
Hopefully reinstalling grub as above will be solve
everything. Hopefully, the errant grub on /dev/hde1
will not have affected the Windows installation. If it
has, I don't know what to do about that, other than to
say, get your stuff off the disk, reinstall Windows
and reinstall grub as above. Don't do this until there
are not other options.

Oh, yes I forgot, for some reason that Other Operating
Systems line counts as a grub entry. I'd forgotten all
about that I only had to deal with it once. Sorry, but
you figured that out yourself and it doesn't break
anything if you get it wrong and then change it.

> Getting there ;)

Ad again

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk