[Wolves] Broadband recommendations

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Mon May 16 16:19:28 BST 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 15:14, Lee Parkes wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:23:47PM +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > I'm now looking at Plus Net after dithering for ages.  They are doing
> > a free (as long as you stay with them for 5 years) set and the usual
> > crappy USB modem.  2mb speed for £14.99 a month.  I've been checking
> > to see what the service is like and it seems to be above average
> > consistently.
> >
> > Now watch somebody pull out a report saying they are crap :-)
>
> Now you mention it... they ain't too bad :) I've been with them for nearly
> 18 months now and they seem OK. I've only had one outage problem with them
> so far and they seem to have dealt with it quite well. Mine is quite
> expensive at £29.99/month but a previous employer paid for it and I carried
> it on when I left. I also have static IP addresses which bumps the price up
> anyway.
>
> All in all, not bad. Not bad at all :)

I've been with plusnet now for 4 or 5 years & would have probably switched if
I wasn't so lazy - I have a domain registered with them for my personal email
& couldn't be bothered with the agravation of switching over to another
provider.  I've only had a broadband account with them for the last couple of
years and seem to get about 2-3 outages per year, sometimes as long as 24
hours before it's completely fixed & all domains get full resolved.  Email
access can go wierd once in a while too & takes a day or two to catch up once
it's fixed.  It's always amused me how many "normal" (but much too
enthusiastic) users keep popping up in plusnet's forums to give scathing
personal attacks to any one who complains about the poor service - and then
tell the world how great they've found plusnet to be.  I've got a home worker
account by the way which is probably the same as Lees at £29.99 per month.
So the outage problem is doubly annoying!

That said maybe this kind of outage is normal?  I'd be interested to hear
others experience of their service provider?

kev