Sparc64 was Re: [Wolves] Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 14:02:16 BST 2005

--- Steve Parkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:

> Yeah. On a kind of related theme, I'm thinking of
> doing a "Ron" and trying out Gentoo....

Are there any good choices for Sparc64 these days? I'd
like to run Debian but I'm reluctant to move if
they're thinking about pulling the port.

> I attempted a stage 3 install on sparc64 but even
> that bored me when a
> full debian net install only takes 30mins.  If you
> have patience it
> might suit you better ;-)  If you have 5 machines of
> the same
> architecture moving to gentoo then it would be worth
> the wait.

My own Gentoo Sparc64 installation was a great
learning experience and the docs really are great, but
it did take a full 24 hours in 3 sessions and I can't
really be arsed with hand merging all of the config
files every time I upgrade.

Sadly I got stumped when my type 5 keyboard wouldn't
work with xorg and I couldn't work out what to do with
it (keyboard driver is deprecated, kbd driver doesn't
work with type 5). Either way I'd still prefer to use
Debian. Does anyone know more than me about whether
the Sparc port is going to get dropped?

Ad

PS Sorry about the last post, I was shaking the crap
out of my keyboard (produced a worrying amount eyebrow
/ nasal hair(???) and yellow crusty crap) and I must
have hit enter by mistake.

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.drinky.org.uk