[Wolves] What makes Gnome/KDE slow?

Deusiah deusiah at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:31:23 BST 2005

I second that, I can't help feeling there's something missing so I
have been playing about with this all last night looking at what
programs are started in Gnome and what programs I am missing.

A few more programs I started up that I was missing are
gnome-cups-icon (for the nice printing top bar icon) and the
update-notifier (for the update-notifier icon). So far so good no
performance hit from those, also there is evolution-alarm-notify when
I tried to start this up it couldn't find the command so it's a
process started some other way. I don't actually use Evolution so I
didn't bother to find out how it was started.

gnome-smproxy was missing also so I started that up and my system
gradually started to slow, I closed it and it was fast again. I have
just started it back up and everything is still as fast so perhaps it
was a false alarm or perhaps it's accumulates something that slows it
down? I'll report what happens later.

I would love to hear from someone else who has tried this and hear was
results you get. There are a few downsides with this as you get a few
functions replaced with the XFCE ones like alt+tab switching, the
logout menu and the run menu. Apart from that the
gnome-session-manager program fails to start so you must use the XFCE
session manager also the gnome theme manager is redundant and so you
must use the XFCE theme manager. All in all it's a very usable XFCE
hybrid. The downsides in my opinion are minor and easily made up for
by the speed.

Chris