[Wolves] What makes Gnome/KDE slow?

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:10:59 BST 2005

On 5/17/05, Deusiah <deusiah at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just this second tried this on my desktop machine (Athlon 64 3200+)
> again great results! The terminal now pops open in an instant :)
>
> Before I did this I timed how long Gnome takes to start up including
> all the time the icons take to start not just till the desktop
> appears, it took 26 seconds in total. Gnome on top of XFCE takes 11
> seconds.
>
> Am I on to something here or is there some major part of Gnome I have
> forgotten to start? Performance like this usually only comes at a
> price.

Hm.

I am forced to believe that there is something you've forgotten to
start, but I don't know what it is. Unless you've just discovered the
way to make Gnome fast, which would be bloody great. Try individually
switching in each of the components you've removed and see which it is
that slows everything down? Also try starting Gnome programs and see
if they take a lot longer to start up (because they are starting the
bits you forgot).

This could be a real breakthrough, this :)

Aq.