[Wolves] Ubuntu Normal CD vs Live CD

Chris Ball chris at mnemonik.net
Wed May 18 11:03:40 BST 2005

My girlfriend wants me to install Ubuntu on her machine as she uses ME and is
getting fed up with all the spyware and crap her sister ends up downloading on
to it.

Her system is pretty fucked, so I need to use come kind of Live CD to get access
to her CD writer so we can back up her files, I was just wondering if it was
worth  getting the Ubuntu Live CD (I do have a copy of Morphix Light, but I'm
unsure if that has CDrecord on it or not) to do this.

She has a dial up connection, so if I use the Live CD am I going to have to
download a lot of stuff to get the system running? I don't think she'll be to
happy if we have to spent hours downloading Debs before she can use her
computer.

So in brief my questions are:

1) Will a Live CD let us back up stuff to CD-R?
2) Does the Live CD have less programs on it?
3) I've checked all the hardware on the HCL, but it's a Time premade system so
does anyone know if it'll have some crazy Propreitry stuff that will cause
issue?

Thanks in advance,
Chris