[Wolves] Ubuntu Normal CD vs Live CD

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:16:11 BST 2005

On 5/18/05, Chris Ball <chris at mnemonik.net> wrote:

> She has a dial up connection, so if I use the Live CD am I going to have to
> download a lot of stuff to get the system running? I don't think she'll be to
> happy if we have to spent hours downloading Debs before she can use her
> computer.
>
> So in brief my questions are:
>
> 1) Will a Live CD let us back up stuff to CD-R?
> 2) Does the Live CD have less programs on it?
> 3) I've checked all the hardware on the HCL, but it's a Time premade system so
> does anyone know if it'll have some crazy Propreitry stuff that will cause
> issue?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

If it's a pre-made Time PC I'm guessing that they may well have used a
Winmodem?  In which case it may not be supported 'out of the box' in
Ubuntu.  Using the live CD it may not be able to dial out.  I had this
crop up last week when I tried out SuSE 9.3 Live DVD.  There is a
Linux driver for the internal modem on this particular PC but I would
need to download the file with YOU....which is a circular problem
because I can't dial up etc.

Just something to be aware of :-)

--
Take care.