[Wolves] was (no subject) I need help

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Fri May 20 13:34:10 BST 2005

> 1. I get a minimal bash grub (if I'm lucky,
> sometimes I have to hit the
> restart button a few times as I get
> *Grubstage2readerror* and it wont do
> anything else) if I put;
>
> grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> grub> chainloader +1
> grub> boot
>
> Then XP boots OK

I'm not grub guru but:

Grub stage 2 loads the kernel based on the kernel you
chose from the menu at boot time, which is defined in
/boot/grub/menu.lst. If its not working I guess that
maybe the kernel image file has been moved during the
upgrade process so the entry in menu.lst is pointing
to the wrong place.

Menu.lst should contain entries that look like:-
title Linux
    kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hde8
vga=0x31a selinux=0 splash=silent
 resume=/dev/hde7 elevator=cfq showopts
    initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initrd

that tell it to boot /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd,
on my system these are symlinks to files like
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.97-chris if the upgrade has
upgraded the kernel and removed the old version then
the symlinks maybe pointed to the old files.

Recreate the links (to whatever kernel you are using
obviously) and try booting it again.

If its not that then try posting your menu.lst and
we'll have a look.

chris