[Wolves] was (no subject) I need help

Dick Turpin highwayman.turpin at gmail.com
Sat May 21 17:57:39 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 23:22 +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 5/20/05, mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk <mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In my limited experience if SUSE recognises the SUSE install it will fix
> > the boot under 'Repair'.
> > There is the possibility of a failing hard disc but must admit I'm baffled.
> >
> > Mad Malc
> >

> Pete's tried the repair option, Malc.  It didn't.... why not is a
> puzzle because as you say it normally does work.  It's going tobe a
> simple entry in a configuration file somewhere, probably one line
> slightly wrong....it's always the way ;-)

I've given up on the poxy thing, Ive tried everything (Apart from
ringing up the support desk) I wiped /dev/hdc and did a fresh install
this time I get Grub error 18 this is after a clean install maybe the
problem is on the /dev/hda boot sector I don't know.

So for the 15th time I plonked the XP disc in started up waited 14 years
for the recovery console, did fixmbr then fixboot so at least XP boots
up directly.

I'm even more fed up with Suse 9.3 my old kinternet dial problem has
returned so I cant dial-up, sound still wont work I wish I hadn't spent
£40.00 now. The only reason I have Suse is I wanted at least one Distro
that was paid for, the theory being if its for sale it should be usable.

Now I know thats very naive but that was my theory anyway.

I can boot Suse by using the install DVD, I suppose I could create a
boot CD but its a bit of a pain which pushes me even further towards Red
Hat based products and VMware. Its bad enough having to reboot my system
without now having to ponce around with boot CD's.

Pete signing off, a little poorer but a little wiser.

--
Regards
Dick Turpin