[Wolves] Mental note to self: Check that hardware works in Linux before buying it, especially when it's brand-new.

Old Dan djones9960 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:41:39 BST 2005

OK.  So I've upgraded to an Athlon 64 3500+.

...and I'm not letting Windows anywhere near it.  :)
(It's running Ubuntu Hoary AMD64 - the 32-bit version wouldn't install)

But I've found a problem - it seems the hardware in the mainboard I
bought is so new the PCI IDs for it's components aren't even in the
stable kernels, and the inbuilt ALi NIC ID doesn't appear until rc3.

The NIC isn't an issue as I can just plug in an NIC I have lying
around, however the AGP is behaving like a PCI slot which is
preventing me from using anything other than Mesa for 3D, and the SATA
isn't recognised either.

I'm just hoping the testing kernels will bring a bit more luck.
--
Dan