[Wolves] Bored? Try LTSP

trog trog at trog-oz.demon.co.uk
Mon May 23 23:04:25 BST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 21:05, Andy Wootton wrote:
> For all those people who have said they are bored with how simple their
> current distro has become, I commend to you the Linux Terminal Server
> Project.

Yes siree!  We use it at Handsworth Grammar School

> I recommend Ubuntu for the server

I wouldn't.  IMO you're much better off with the K12LTSP distro
(http://k12linux.org/) which is built on FC3.  You just download the iso's
and away you go.  Otherwise you have to download and install LTSP yourself.
K12LTSP does exactly what it says on the tin; you load it up and you're ready
to connect thin clients.

> so the docs aren't quite right but are close enough to give you clues.

The docs in the K12LTSP version are spot on, and as an added bonus, they match
what is on the LTSP web site (www.ltsp.org).

> You only need an old, slow box for each client (i.e. child/spouse/aged
> parent) but you'll 'need' one kick-ass server for the good of all. Enjoy.

Our servers are Athlon 1.8 MHz with 1GB memory, not exactly powerhouses.  The
six support 90 thin clients with acceptable performance.  Ideally we'd like
to put more memory in the servers, but there is a flaw on the motherboards;
of the four memory slots, only two can be used at once.  We can improve
performance by hiving some of the workload off onto the clients.  Firefox is
a good candidate for this and we are in the process of doing just that.  Our
clients are PIII 533Mhz with 256MB memory.  If you want to know more about
our setup, a good place to start is www.openhgs.org/moin.cgi/LinuxProject

--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)