[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 88, Issue 17

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue May 31 11:06:09 BST 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 17:03, roundyz wrote:

> On Sunday 29 May 2005 21:24, wolves-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> > I'VE GOT SOUND!!! :-)
>
> I did too!!! (back in 95!!).

I had sound under 9.1 after installing 9.2 I and others had no end of trouble
(ask Kevan) so no sound.

Admittedly I had hardware problems with my PC but after fixing them I still
had no sound under 9.2 but having dug around I found the sound driver was not
being loaded at boot time which I have now fixed.

> Well done with the scanner though :) Was xsane
> installed as root or by your user? maybe permissions are wrong....

xsane was loaded via Yast which should have set up the correct permissions
xsane is part of X11 which relates to graphics so I don't really fancy
messing about in there.

I don't do any scanning really so it was more a novelty thing, running it as
root isn't a problem it was just fun seeing the light burn through the dust
of 2.5 years of inactivity.

> thing is you search for help on google and you get too much info and no real
FAQ.
> It's like looking for help on cups lots of forums etc but have you really
> got 4-5hours to wade through it all...........pain in the arse really.
> Maybe someone else here is more qualified to help than me....

Thats a good point, on the one hand I *now* subscribe to the ethos of self
help however if your on dial-up (I am at home) Mr Google is a no go area
because as you say you can spend ages waiting for pages to load, read halfway
through to discover its not what you want.

Its a catch 22 do you ask somebody on a list how to do it and accept the "look
on Google you lazy shit" or run up your phone bill in the vain hope you can
solve it.

Its a tough one and I don't have the answer :-(

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk