[Wolves] Sudden sound problems with k/ubuntu???

Bobby Singh bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 22:26:57 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have ubuntu 5.10 and has been all working.  I
thought i try out kubuntu (via apt-get in ubuntu).  As
i like KDE. Now kubuntu worked but sound was delayed
but worked.  Now i go back to ubuntu and my sound has
gone.
When i click on the 'speaker on the panel' i get;

- Error
-The volume control did not find any elements and/or
-devices to control. This means either that you don't
-have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that
-you don't have a sound card configured.
-You can remove the volume control from the panel by
-right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and
-selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

My sound worked before but i stilled checked
gstreamer.  I notice in 'System->Admin->Sound' i can't
see my sound card but its in 'Device manager' apps.
When i go back into kubuntu it starts-up with the
message

- informational-artsmessage
-Sound server informational mesage:
-Error while initializing the sound driver:
-device: defaualt can't be opened for playback
(permission denied).
-The sound server will continue, using the null output
device.

And when i try adjusting the sound in system via
kubuntu and press 'apply' i get the same above
messgae.
I tried going in as root and the sound all works fine
in both ubuntu and kubuntu.
Does ubuntu have a rescue tool to get my soundcard or
how do i give users full permissions to my sound card?

Cheers

Bobby