[Wolves] Samba in an Active Directories environment

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 13:32:42 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 12:35, Simon Morris wrote:

> The box is installed without a GUI and I'm using the curses version to
> install new software.

I've done it that way a couple of times to be honest it seemed (to me) to be
very similar to Debian in respect of selecting packages.

> In fact if the thread is going this way I would *love* some help from
> someone who knows more about it than I.

Who would that be then?

> I can install packages with `yast2 -i foo' which is bloody slow
> compared to apt and other automatic dependancy checkers I've used but
> how to I search for available packages?

So don't use it then! you can use yum, apt, kpackage and any other installer
you care to choose. just do yast, packages, apt then you'll be back on home
ground.

Personally I wouldn't as it diminishes the learning curve, better to learn
alternative package  mediums then you are able to run a wider range of
distributions.

> Last night was Nagios night and I can see there are a number of RPMs
> for this, but without having to navigate the software menus I can't
> see them. I'd like some output to STDOUT please :)

Um using GUI there are 8 packages

nagios
nagios-nagat
nagios-nrpe
nagios-nsca
nagios-plugins
nagios-plugins-extras
nagios-plugins-sap-ccms
nagios-www

> Also within yast it only shows me software by category. How do I see
> ALL packages in a long list.

Um, uuuummm :-S

> Well - I also have SUSE10 installed on my laptop with a full Gnome
> desktop. I haven't been able to find packages for gtkpod or iPodder
> which I live out of ( Clive Bull LBC 97.3  -- if you haven't listened
> to his podcast give it a go :) )

I can find gtkpod in Yast, I don't have it installed are you saying you cant
find it on the menu?

> That would be because it is easy to navigate? Try putting a 2 year in
> front of the curses version and get them to navigate it... I know a 29
> year old (me) that had problems last night :)

Ah theres your answer you're too old for it :P

> It is indeed a useful utility but the word "bloat" springs to mind

> Yep. Hand on heart I need to learn more about SUSE and I'm approaching
> it with an open mind. If I know as much about it as I do the distros
> inside my comfort zone and I still find it lacking I'll be the first
> to slander it.

See I might snipe at other Distros but I would never outright slag them off
this is because any one who slags of something they know nothing about soon
stands out as a tit trying to impress :)

> At the moment I think I'm missing a lot of shortcuts. I'm not in the
> habit of commenting on things I know not a lot about - good way to get
> flamed that one :)

Na just use the influence of your personality you can say anything then and
nobody will dare disagree :D

> Xen interests me as well but I was referring to Zen at that moment.

Yeah I've already slapped myself for that one.

> http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/index.html?sourceidint=hdr_products
>_zen

> That all sounds correct to me. SUSE seem to have been very early
> adopters of Xen but is still getting developed. Very cool technology
> though.

I was dead excited as under Yast (GUI) there is a 'Virtual Machine Install'
icon so I suppose its some kind of installation wizard thingy.

I own VMware 5 for Windows so have an interest in Virtual Machine stuff, as
this is a P4 Computer I obviously cant run xen I know there is other stuff
out there that Sparkes suggested a while back but I would have liked to have
used the Suse incorporated package.

--
Peter Cannon
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
www.cannon-linux.co.uk

"If god had meant us to fly he'd have given us wings"