[Wolves] Samba in an Active Directories environment

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 11:26:50 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 22:50, Simon Morris wrote:

> To be honest this is where Debian shines - you hardly ever need to add
> 3rd party sources to /etc/apt/sources.list unless you want non-free
> stuff.

I know very little about Debian (I have a copy of woody) but I think you're
doing it again, you cant compare the two as they 'are' differant.

Debian from what I remember is a true web install distribution the piggy bank
of applications is huge hence the justified claims of it being totally
configurable to individual tastes and needs.

Suse on the other hand is almost closed shop, yes you can add other repos
install stuff from say sourceforge but as said before you're then in the
realms of "Ah you changed the defaults sorry mush, cant help", of course Suse
comes with all the popular standard packages.

> Am I heading into dependancy hell?

Not really unless, as said above, you add non standard packages but then thats
where Yast is quit good it will give you a list of remedies;
Install  such and such dependency
Remove such and such package
Carry on and risk problems

You just select the appropriate action.