[Wolves] secure wireless network

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 12:09:46 BST 2005

Mo Awkati wrote:
> Ok folk, I have acquired an IBM ThinkPad, its only a
> small thing nothing grand about it, but it does what I
> want without losing sleep over it.
>
> How do I secure my wireless connection with Linux?

I'm not sure if it's possible to really secure a wireless network
(unless newer versions of WEP are improved?).

I believe the more secure approach is to have a decent VPN (e.g. OpenVPN
or FreeSWAN) going over an unencrypted wireless link ... this does
however require that you have a server (OpenWRT devices can run OpenVPN)
running all the time.

David.

--
David Goodwin