[Wolves] secure wireless network

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 15:51:21 BST 2005

--- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok folk, I have acquired an IBM ThinkPad, its only a
> small thing nothing grand about it, but it does what
> want without losing sleep over it.
>
> How do I secure my wireless connection with Linux?

As a few people will probably point out, a 'secure
wireless network' is a misnomer.

Without setting up a VPN which looked remarkably hard
the last time I looked (kernel 2.4 days), the best
things are going to get are to disable SSID
broadcasting which means you have to know the SSID
(aka wireless network name), use mac address filtering
and only allow cards with mac addresses that you
specify, disable ad-hoc networking (ie only talk to
access points, not other machines) and use the
strongest encryption that your access point has, on
most that is 128bit WEP.

This all has to be set up on your access point (with
the exception of disabling ad-hoc networking) and you
can find the information on how to do this in your
manual.

>From the Linux point of view all you need to do is
know your SSID network name and give the little
network wizard thingy your WEP key. I don't know how
to disable ad-hoc networking to be honest.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.drinky.org.uk