[Wolves] Ubuntu and KDE

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 10:54:10 BST 2005

On 26/10/05, Ade <adrian.bradshaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/25/05, Bobby Singh <bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have ubuntu and created an experimental account for
> > kde or kubuntu.  Did this using;
> > 'System->Administration->Users and Groups'
> > However i assumed when i downloaded kde its apps will
> > stay in that account.  When i go back to my main
> > Ubuntu/gnome acoount there are KDE apps from the other
> > account.  This makes my main ubuntu/gnome account look
> > bloated, which is against gnome way.
> >
> > So how do i keep the 2 accounts totally seperate and
> > make sure when i install kde apps in my kde account
> > they stay there and don't cross over to my main
> > ubuntu/gnome account?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Bobby
>
> Auto package seeks to solve this issue, in that it asks if you want to
> install to the user or the machine - only problem is that no-one is
> really behind it yet and they really need to be.
>
> The thing that you are asking for is not at all unreasonable - (the
> ability to decide to install globally or just to one user)
>
> All hail autopackge I say,
>
> Ade

Am I reading this correct?  What Bobby is asking is how to install to
a users account as in that users' /home' account and installed by that
user instead of being installed by root and thus, being accessible to
'all' users.  If this is the case I have to ask why?  The same amount
of disk space is taken up after all.  The only reason I could see for
this happening would be if root refused to install (assuming a
different owner or root user).

Or have I misread it?  :-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer