[Wolves] Success?

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Thu Sep 1 14:05:34 BST 2005

As it was my first wolveslug meet I cant compare it to
the standard (meeting or resturant) but some thoughts.

No introductions:
I've no idea who most people at the meeting were or
what they do. Some people find standing up and
introducing themselves intimidating, but on the other
hand its nice to put names to faces and it can be an
icebreaker for newcomers espeacially true because so
many people know each other and its easy to leave new
people out.

The table arrangements:
The "long line" table arrangement means you only get
to talk to the people near you and miss out on the
many fascinating conversations going on at the other
end (of course they might have just been talking the
usual rubbish...).

The talk:
Good talk, shame about the gingerness of the
presenter... ;-)
Would doing the talk before the food make a
difference? Again it would give an easy "over dinner"
conversation starter for people who dont know each
other. On the other hand it could cut down on the post
talk discussions as people get hungry.
Technical talks in general have the problem that if
your not interested in the subject of the talk then
its easy to not bother going at all, last nights was
good in that you didn't need to know about the
semantic web to enjoy bashing it but the title "the
semantic web" makes it sound like a good excuse for
staying home.

The venue:
The food was decent, there was enough space for the
talk to work, cant argue, the only problem is the
location (*grumble* wolverhampton *grumble* hour to
drive home *grumble* got lost *grumble*)

chris