[Wolves] Success?

Jono Bacon jonobacon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:33:22 BST 2005

On 9/1/05, chris procter <chris-procter at talk21.com> wrote:

> As it was my first wolveslug meet I cant compare it to
> the standard (meeting or resturant) but some thoughts.

You said you had been before?

> No introductions:
> I've no idea who most people at the meeting were or
> what they do. Some people find standing up and
> introducing themselves intimidating, but on the other
> hand its nice to put names to faces and it can be an
> icebreaker for newcomers espeacially true because so
> many people know each other and its easy to leave new
> people out.

People bitched about introductions so thats why I think it was dropped.

> The table arrangements:
> The "long line" table arrangement means you only get
> to talk to the people near you and miss out on the
> many fascinating conversations going on at the other
> end (of course they might have just been talking the
> usual rubbish...).

This is a problem with any large number of people in a room. There is
literally no way to arrange people so that everyone can tak to
everyone. There are some other options and we can discuss this before
the next meeting.

> The talk:
> Good talk, shame about the gingerness of the
> presenter... ;-)

Agreed. :P

> Would doing the talk before the food make a
> difference? Again it would give an easy "over dinner"
> conversation starter for people who dont know each
> other. On the other hand it could cut down on the post
> talk discussions as people get hungry.
> Technical talks in general have the problem that if
> your not interested in the subject of the talk then
> its easy to not bother going at all, last nights was
> good in that you didn't need to know about the
> semantic web to enjoy bashing it but the title "the
> semantic web" makes it sound like a good excuse for
> staying home.

I think doing it after is best. Everyone has eaten and is then ready
to stand up and wander around to talk to each other.

> The venue:
> The food was decent, there was enough space for the
> talk to work, cant argue, the only problem is the
> location (*grumble* wolverhampton *grumble* hour to
> drive home *grumble* got lost *grumble*)

Look at the name of the LUG. :D

  Jono