[Wolves] Jono Lug blog page

David Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:04:52 BST 2005

Okay Jono I see your point but I think I didn't explain mine very
well.  My point about the fix wasn't about the X/gui display (which I
agree would be of great use) but the point of you found a bug you
obviously  fixed it and didn't let others know the fix which would of
been useful to us newbies it took me weeks to track down the fault.

On 03/09/05, Jono Bacon <jonobacon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/3/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > you very cleverly winged about the whole open office situation but I
> > must just point out that if I manged to figure out how to fix it then
> > most people should be able to.  Also you didn't post your fix.  Simply
> > changing the .sversionrc from 1.1.3= to 1.1.4=.
>
> (David is referring to http://www.jonobacon.org/viewcomments.php?id=530)
>
> There are few points here.
>
> Firstly, the point I was making is that when an error in execution
> occurs in a GUI application, there should be some means of
> communicating that message in a way that the user can (a) see and (b)
> understand. The problem was that it failed in (a) totally as most
> people will simply not see console output. There is no reason why
> OpenOffice.org could not throw up a dialog box - even if it can't load
> OpenOffice.org, it could throw up a primative X window.
>
> As for posting a fix, how can I do that? The fix to this problem is to
> fix the OpenOffice.org core, and I don't have the time or inclination
> to implement that. Renaming the directory or removing it is not a fix,
> it is a workaround. My contribution was to report this via my website.
> I have also been meaning to get round to submitting a bug, but I have
> been a bit tied up recently.
>
>   Jono

Seek That Thy Might Know