[Wolves] Using hardware events as software triggers

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 11:59:37 BST 2005

Hi all,

I've been given a slightly greasy task to do.

We have a bunch of micro PCs (maybe Mac Minis in the
future) and a bunch of USB card readers. The types are
various, but are known. They will either be formatted
as vfat or be used for direct linear memory access.

What I've been asked to do is to find out whether we
can use hardware events such the connection of a usb
card reader and the insertion of the media itself to
trigger certain processes, such as:

On connection of reader, check for the media and if it
is present, check for a filesystem, if there is one
present, mount it and check for data, if not, access
the device directly and check for data. In either
case, if there is data on the media, do x, y and z
with it.

I know that HAL, D-BUS and sysfs are used for this
kind of thing but I'm not sure at which level of the
stack to jump into.

I'm reading FAQs as we speak, but I wondered if anyone
else with a greater knowledge than I could point me at
where to start looking.

Thanks

Ad

--