[Wolves] New Website design

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 11:44:59 BST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 10:53, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> 1. What should the text of that link be? I'm looking for some text
> which will express to new people that it's the archives of the mailing
> list. "Mailing list archives" isn't necessarily good text, because new
> people don't necessarily understand what an "archive" is nor why they
> might want to look at one. You've got about three words.

1. Past Fights | 2. FAQ | 3.Questions & Answers | 4. Previous Posts

Number 4 I think

> 2. Is it useful to link directly to the archives? Would it be better,
> for example, to link to a form which searches the archives?

Keyword search has to be the best

> Or directly to the most recent month? I think that use cases for looking
> at the archives are:
>  a. To find out what the LUG is about, if you're new, and to get a
> feel for what the conversation is like.

Cant you do an 'About Us' page with a bit of blurb and an embedded object that
displays two or three mails on a monthly rotating basis, some sort of app
that grabs copies and displays them.

>  b. To find a post that you remember reading in your mail but have
> since deleted.

Keyword Search

>  c. To search for information in case anyone has talked about a
> specific topic on the list before.

Keyword search

--
Regards