[Wolves] Samba and passwords

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 23:34:39 BST 2005

On 10/09/05, Andrew Lewis <andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> >place of the Linux one and all works perfectly.  Trying to access a
> >drive on the Linux tin from the Windows tin is worse.  Again it asks
> >for a username/password combination.  In this case nothing is
> >accepted.  I have tried root and normal users, nothing.  I am,
> >therefore, left wondering if there is a file somewhere in the Samba
> >configuration directory where I need to actually add users and
> >passwords.
> >
> >I have both Samba client and server running.  The network is a
> >standard ethernet with both machines going through a router
> >(broadband/modem/switch/firewall).  Could this last be my problem
> >area?
> >

> You could also try changing the line 'security = user' to
> 'security=share' in the smb.conf file and see what happens.
> :) ms

Cheers guys.  Those two answers have switched a light on this dim
brain of mine :-)  I do recall seing something about this in the Samba
book I'm reading.  Which is hwy I had a bit of an idea that I needed
to incorporate a list of users somewhere.... I just didn't know where.

I have matched up the usernames on the Win tin and the Linux tin
(making sure they are the same case etc. as I know that Linux is much
more refined than Microsoft when it comes to case sensitivity) so
hopefully, when I have the file set up correctly, it'll be all systems
go :-)  I'll post the results when I've tinkered..

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay