[Wolves] Re: SIP

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:30:48 BST 2005

Jono muttered something like:

>Hi all,
>
>Just to let you know, with the help of Ade, I got my SIP phone
>working. Getting it working with SIPGate was a piece of cake. :)
>
>Now onto asterisk, but as I said the other night - it seems a bit of a
>configuration nightmare!
>
> Jono

Hi -

[ Sorry to break the thread but all my mail to WolvesLUG is getting bounced
from my work account over the past week! Maybe they changed their reverse
lookup requirements or something.. i just re-subscribed]

SIP... Asterisk... I've been playing a lot with this over the past year.

Configuration is baffling at first but once the core setup is done (and all
the trickiness is with Zaptel interfaces (ISDN, Modems etc) - if you are
running a pure VoIP setup with no trunk lines it is a lot easier) there is
not a lot to change apart from:

/etc/asterisk/sip.conf << define SIP devices and how you interface with them
/etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf << Voicemail boxes, passwords, voicemail2email
addresses
/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf << the DREADED dialplan :) how calls get
routed.. call menus etc

I have a decent UK dialplan so you can control who has access to local
calls, national calls, non-geographic calls, international calls etc -
please anyone ask if you would like it

Also I wrote a script so you can configure all of the user stuff from an
LDAP database - my customer uses AD and he can add some attributes to his
user accounts, run the script and it auto-generates the config and reloads
the server. He can add people and phones to the system without knowing a
thing about asterisk. It would work with any LDAP database.

In summary asterisk rocks!

~sm