[Wolves] Network stuff.

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Tue Sep 20 20:28:23 BST 2005

> Basically what I would like to know, is does anyone know of a good but
> relatively basic tutorial I could follow in order to set up nfs/samba
> and cups and lamp server and a mail server?  most of the ones I've
> found seem to need a degree to comprehend.  What I would like to do is
> basicall set up a share folder on all the machines and swap files
> around within the network.

If you _just_ wish to share files, use Samba - as it can talk to Linux
and Windows boxes.

I'm not sure why you want LAMP (are you getting ancronym overload?)

Anyway, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, you'll find it quite well commented.
Setup a share, and create some Samba users on your box (man smbpasswd).

Then it should should work from Windows.

Under Linux, you'll need to mount the things, which is normally
something like :

mount -t cifs //server/share /path/to/mount -O
username=xxxx,password=yyyyy

(That's off the top of my head, so I may be wrong)

You can stick the above into /etc/fstab so it's automatic, but I'll
skip that for now.

David.

--
David Goodwin