[Wolves] help with apache and smoothwall

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 21:29:28 BST 2005

On 26/09/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I have 1 of 2 (because there's always 2) problems
>
> 1) on my local box apache2/php/and mysql I can
> http://localhost/testphp.php and it's running same if I use any pc on
> my network via http://ipaddress.of.local.server/testphp.php.
> 2) can't seem to get it via my smoothwall box ie
> http://82.36.245.248/testphp.php ?!? grrrrrrrrrrr

Most (nearly all) firewalls won't let you connect to services running
on your "outside" IP Address.

This is because firewalls typically use "ingress filtering"

Your firewall knows that 192.168.0.0/24 is an inside range as it is
the address assigned to your inside interface. Ingress filtering means
that the outside interface will drop all packets that are sourced from
an internal network. There shouldn't be anyone sending packets INTO
your outside interface if they have an IP address that belongs to your
internal LAN.

When you connect to your external IP address the firewall drops the packet.

Most networks that have external services use separate internal DNS
zones with the internal IP address to get around this problem

Cheers!

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com