[Wolves] I'm going to go with Jono/Adam idea but need help please.

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 12:27:50 BST 2006

--- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have decided to take the plunge and set up a
> mail/web server but I
> want a really host name thinking of davmor.org how
> do I go about
> registering this name what companies are
> recommended?(needs to be very
> cheap)

http://www.1and1.co.uk/

Domain names from £1.99 for *.uk domains, £8.89 for
international domains (.org, .com etc).

If you're on a a dynamic IP address, it might be
better for you to register with dyndns and register a
dyndns domain, or use the 1 and 1 control panel to
point the DNS for your domain to the dyndns DNS
servers. There is another free service called zone
edit which might be of use to you.

> Then how do I link the Host name to my home server?

If you get your domain from 1 and 1, then use their
control panel to specify the IP addresses of the
dyndns or zone edit DNS servers. Then, at dyndns or
zone edit, set up your DNS settings, such as:

davemorley.org xxx.xxx.xxx.1
www            xxx.xxx.xxx.1

These 2 point davemorley.org and www.davemorley.org to
the same machine, geddit? Which is useful since a lot
of people don't always put www. on the front of a
domain name in a browser.

You can then point mail to the same place if you wish,
or another machine:

mail           xxx.xxx.xxx.2

which would point mail.davemorley.org to another
machine, or you could point it the same machine and
use apache virtual hosts to serve up different pages
(ie we webmail client like horde, squirrelmail,
neomail, ilohamail, horde or whatever.

Note that setting up mail.davemorley.org doesn't tell
anyone that mail for anywhere at davemorley.org should
be sent to xxx.xxx.xxx.2. You have to set up what are
called mx records (Mail eXchanger). You should read up
on this.

For each host on your network, davemorley.org,
www.davemorley.org, mail.davemorley.org and where ever
else, you should specify the IP address for mx record
as the machine you want to receive mail.

Worry more about this when you need to. DNS can be
pretty intimidating if you don't know where to start.

This should give you enough to start with. Go read up.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.adamsweet.org