[Wolves] MS tightens the screw

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 20:57:33 BST 2006

> > It's not really a surprise that
> > small companies are being terminated in this marketplace.  After all, we
> > don't see many local companies making VCRs or washing machines.  It
> > seems to be part of the global economic system that bigger size, more
> > brutal logistics, produces the strongest and biggest.

To be fair they are both very different types of manufacturing.  The
PC (home computer) is a modular item.  VCR's and washing machines are
not.  There are plenty of small regional PC sellers who do indeed make
computers.  I do not dispute the fact that the likes of Dell can play
dirty by buying in massive amounts of each modular item at absolute
rock bottom prices.  The small regional builder simply cannot do this.
 Even somebody like myself cannot get computer kit (sound, graphic
cards etc) as cheap as Dell.  I can try places like Ebuyer but they
have to pay more than what Dell pay because they can only afford to
hold a small (relatively) amount of stock.

As Peter says, Dell have big stock piles of base units just waiting
for the little custom tweaks that people ask for.
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay