[Wolves] Encyclopaedia on linux

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 19:52:18 BST 2006

On Wednesday 19 Apr 2006 18:14, Mark Ellse wrote:
> Would you think that I'm too prejudiced if I say that I don't really
> want to buy Encarta because it's Microsoft.
>
> Perhaps I am bigotted. But if I am I don't care!

Here's an interesting article comparing Encarta with the good old Encycolpedia
Britannica:

http://ifets.ieee.org/periodical/vol_1_2002/alevizou.html

One quirk of Encarta that I find amusing is that its different localised
editions are not factually consistent with each other. (See under "Encircling
the global versus embracing the local" in the above article, for example.)
According to urban myth, some of these differences appease local political
sensitivities, such as relating to Northern Ireland or Israel/Palestine,
although I forget the exact details.

Perhaps Microsoft has embraced postmodernism to the extent that "The World
According To Bill Gates" has no absolute truth?

Regards,

James