[Wolves] [JOB] MessageLabs

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Mon Aug 14 14:45:08 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 14:49 +0100, Barbie wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is a job working in our Protect Team (AntiSpam/AntiVirus), so it's
> quite interesting stuff.
>
> If you're interested forward CVs to me and I'll pass them along.
>
> To work in the fast moving Internet security marketplace as a member of
> a highly skilled team. Also able to work on individual projects and
> through the full project lifecycle.
>
> Essential
> * Educated to degree level, in a computer related subject, preferably
>   with some commercial application of skills.

Just because I'm feeling argumentative today [0].... why is having a
degree "essential" for this job? I didn't go to university [1], and
neither did quite a few very competent engineers I know that could
handle the job very well - I think sometimes organisations exclude
candidates based on the requirement of a degree.

In the organisation I work in we take on a lot of junior staff - some of
whom have degrees and others that do not. I don't see a massive jump in
quality for those who do not have degrees.

Thanks

~sm

[0] First day back from holiday, delays on London Underground and so
on...
[1] I thought it would be much much more fun to join the Army. As it
turns out I just sat in a wet and cold hole in the ground for 7 and a
half years. I can dig a killer hole if anyone is interested!