[Wolves] Beeping Ubuntu

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Mon Aug 14 20:06:59 BST 2006

Adam Sweet wrote:
> --- Mark Ellse <me at chaseacademy.com> wrote:
>
>> My son's loves his Ubuntu machine, but recently it's
>> started beeping at
>> him

> System > Preferences > Sound > System Beep and untick
> Enable System Beep.
>
> If this is seemingly random, ie not in response to
> system or application events then it might be worth
> looking into it a bit more. Looking at
> /var/log/messages might be a good place to start. View
> it either using
>
> less /var/log/messages
>
> on the command line (q to quit) or using the log
> viewer available via System > Administration > System
> Log and then choose the messages log file or use the
> System Log application's Log menu item and choose Open
> and then find the file /var/log/messages if it's not
> already available.
>
> Ad

Ad,

Thanks for this. Have tried turning the system beep off, but it still
beeps. Also had a look at the various messages, but the only think that
seems slightly astray is X looking for /dev/wacom, which seems to be an
Ubuntu fault.

Also tried installing Ubuntu 6.06.1 from scratch, which produced fewer
reference to /dev/wacom in xorg.conf, but still a couple.

Interesting what you find when you look at your 11 year-old's computer.
He'd raided another system unit for a 900 MHz processor to replace his
600 MHz one. He'd separated the processor from the heatsink, loosing
thermal jointing compound, but improvised sticking them together with
sellotape. And when fastening the fan to the heatsink he'd got the
blades stuck so that it couldn't rotate. Surprising it worked at all really!

Mark