[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Tue Aug 15 12:45:40 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 12:32 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> > There is a lot of merit in this approach but it does mean you are
> > excluding people who want to use alternative environments.
> >
> > Canonical also mastered the art of community building and they now
> have
> > a vibrant set of derivatives offering the alternatives.
>
> Part B Yes I see that as well and seems sensible to me, soooooo under
> the
> banner of Ubuntu community would it be better to have;
> UBUNTU
> ---------------->KDE users.
> ---------------->Christian users.
> ---------------->Myth users.
>
> Now that might be picky or even purely semantics I just think it would
> be
> cleaner. The funny thing is when I looked at Ubuntu-Lite the venom
> they got
> from Ubuntu users was amazing  everything from "How dare you use the
> Ubuntu
> logo" to "This is a waste of time". Linux is a funny game just asking
> simple question gets hackles up :)

Well - there is another point here...

Canonical, as I said, have done a great job of community building.
They've concentrated on their core product (the Gnome based Ubuntu) but
they've encouraged derivatives in the form of Kubuntu, Edubuntu and
Xbuntu.

This allows the overall base to grow without them having to be so
involved in the derivs.

However! There are sites like http://www.nubuntu.org/ and
http://www.ubuntulite.org/ which have sprung up but are not official
derivatives. I can see how Canonical could be concerned about these.

Thanks

~sm