[Wolves] VMPlayer Etc

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 09:05:15 BST 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 11:35, Peter Cannon wrote:

> I would have thought VMServer would be better for you? although I've never
> used it when I read the howto as I understood it wants to partition your
> physical drive which is no use to me.

VMware Server can boot operating systems from ordinary hard disc partitions,
but also supports the same "virtual disc" method as VMware Player for storing
the hard disc contents within ordinary files.

When you say you need to partition the physical drive, I suspect you are
thinking of the VMware Infrastructure/ESX Server commercial product line,
which runs "directly on bare metal hardware". According to Wikipedia [1],
this product line uses a customised version of Red Hat Linux 7.2 to bootstrap
"a stripped-down proprietary kernel (based on Stanford University's SimOS)
that replaces the Linux kernel after hardware-initialization." This
proprietary kernel is presumably what the article calls "vmkernel".

Regards,

James

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware (as browsed 22nd Aug 2006)