[Wolves] VMPlayer Etc

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 09:29:26 BST 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 09:04, James Turner wrote:

> When you say you need to partition the physical drive, I suspect you are
> thinking of the VMware Infrastructure/ESX Server commercial product line,
> which runs "directly on bare metal hardware". According to Wikipedia [1],
> this product line uses a customised version of Red Hat Linux 7.2 to
> bootstrap "a stripped-down proprietary kernel (based on Stanford
> University's SimOS) that replaces the Linux kernel after
> hardware-initialization." This proprietary kernel is presumably what the
> article calls "vmkernel".

I see, thanks for putting me straight.

I spent the evening trawling through the VM Appliances and theres a lot of
guys out there putting a lot of work into benefiting the community at least
90% of appliances are Linux based and most are pre-configured for specific
roles there are a couple of pre-configured Nagios (Network systems
monitoring) appliances. One guy has even built one with instructions that
even my one brain cell can follow for sticking it on a flash drive and using
it in your customers sites.

While it might take the fun out of installing stuff yourself for people like
me it is a god send in time saving I'm gonna have a look then decide if I
want to climb the mountain to get it installed (My first attempt was 80%
successful).

--
Regards
Peter Cannon