[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3 SuSe and or Ubuntu probs

david daveh at bvsc.org
Tue Aug 22 15:07:49 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 14:54 +0100, Howard Berry wrote:
> Hello,
> Since I updated to Suse 10.1 the on-line updates do not seem to work. Yast
> just pretends to look for up-dates or refresh the sources but nothing
> happens.
> So I thought I'd give Ubuntu a go especially as it seems to be very
> popular in the group.
> The DVD boots up but fails to find that I use a USB keyboard and mouse. So
> I can't install or do anything other than look at the pretty golden
> desktop.
> I'd appreciate some ideas on either or both these problems.

There's a known problem with the SuSE Online Update. Go to YAST and then
to Installation Sources and Add a new source.
The one I use is:
Server Name www.mirrorservice.org
Folder on Server sites/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/update/10.1
Protocol http

Works perfectly, though I did have to log out and back in again and run
Online Update from YAST (several times).

Hope that helps.

regards

Dave H

http://www.star.net.uk