[Wolves] samba question

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:23:10 GMT 2006

On 14/02/06, Baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> I've got samba running on my Ubuntu box, I can see the home directory
> on my iMac, but can't get my iMac to see my /home/baza/ on my Ubuntu
> box. Ideas?

Well - it's a fairly vague problem description... no mention of the
version of Ubuntu or smbd.. no reference to how you are creating the
problem on the Mac (by name or IP address?), no mention of error
messages on the Mac side - no log file snippets..

Could it be any or all of the following..

- Is the samba package installed? Samba is the SMB daemon. Connecting
from your Linux machine to the Mac only proves the smb client
(smbclient, smbfs) works

- If samba is installed is it started? Does it show in the process
list table? Does it show as listening in netstat -nap?

- Are you running IPTables that might be silently blocking the
connection attempt from the mac?

If the answers are yes, yes and no I would expect to see some sort of
useful error on the Mac side.

Cheers!

--
~sm