[Wolves] hardware talk

Andrew Lewis andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 17:04:30 GMT 2006

> Surely there must be a jumper somewhere on teh board that will allow
> you to reset the BIOS totally.  Which should have the effect of
> clearing this password?  I will admit, though, I haven't seen this
> sort of password before.  I have come across the normal BIOS security
> password that in effect sets up a BIOS admin.
There is actually a password chip built into the motherboard, which has
non-volatile memory & is almost independent of the bios. As I understand it, the chip has limited capability to access
the usb or serial ports & check for a specific file or wiring sequence.
Without the usb stick, I'm up the creek. IBM did a similar thing once,
and when the bios battery went flat the password would get corrupted.
The IBM official fix for it it "buy a new motherboard"!

spline