[Wolves] hardware talk

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:16:06 GMT 2006

On 17/02/06, Andrew Lewis <andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk> wrote:

> > Surely there must be a jumper somewhere on teh board that will allow
> > you to reset the BIOS totally.  Which should have the effect of
> > clearing this password?  I will admit, though, I haven't seen this
> > sort of password before.  I have come across the normal BIOS security
> > password that in effect sets up a BIOS admin.
> There is actually a password chip built into the motherboard, which has
> non-volatile memory & is almost independent of the bios. As I understand it, the chip has limited capability to access
> the usb or serial ports & check for a specific file or wiring sequence.
> Without the usb stick, I'm up the creek. IBM did a similar thing once,
> and when the bios battery went flat the password would get corrupted.
> The IBM official fix for it it "buy a new motherboard"!
>
> spline

Ah, now I understand.  It's very much what Peter C was telling me
about earlier today.  I haven't come across this so I was puzzled.
Now I know  :-)  It does seem to be a bit of a 'shoot in the foot'
type of security measure.

Good luck with it and do keep us updated with the outcome.
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay