[Wolves] LAMP server partitioning

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 23 21:51:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:05:21PM +0000, David Cockayne wrote:
> are there really advantages to giving /usr /var /tmp /home etc seperate
> partitions for this sorrt of server also what is the best filesystem for
> this sort of server?

I like ext3 because it's never bitten me.

> on another server I keep on having to move stuff on to different
> partitions as they keep filling up as the server starts to get used to
> provide different/additional services

Have you considered using LVM and taking your best guess?  If it's
wrong you can resize later quite easily.  Also hopefully you are
using RAID of some description; 137GB is a lot to have to restore
from tape.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB