[Wolves] Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 issue?

alan alan at popey.com
Mon Jul 3 13:24:38 BST 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 10:32:36PM +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 01/07/06, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >--- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What I want to know is this, has anybody else had a
> >> similar problem?
> >> I also had resolution changing problems in Xubuntu
> >> 6.06 in that it
> >> simply will not change the resolution.  Xubuntu is
> >> unusable on this PC
> >> because of this.
> >
> >No problems here. Can change res at will. A friend of
> >mine is running Xubuntu and he also can change between
> >1024x768 and 800x600 at will.

Indeed. My laptop runs at 1920x1200. I have other machines running at
various resolutions.

> I then went into the system config
> (GUI) and this time checked out the graphics card first.  It seems
> that Kubuntu (I don't know about Ubuntu but I suspect it will be the
> same) sets up my venerable old Nvidia as a generic VGA card.

What card is it? What does lspci (run in a terminal) report?

I've had 3 nvidia cards all detected okay. Maybe yours is an old klunker but
still it should be supported. You could file a bug against it so others
don't have this problem.

> Perhpas
> it's me but I'm used to having it set up at least a a dummy nv card
> with the associated allowed resolutions.

There's nothing "dummy" about the nv driver. It's the attempt to develop an
open source driver for nvidia cards with little or no help from NVidia
themselves. They've done a pretty good job so far.

> Anyway, I ticked all the
> boxes etc and set that up.  Not with the Nvidia driver from Nvidia
> themselves but the one that is with Kubuntu (probably a dummy).

The binary driver(s) are in the extra repositories. You can install the
nvidia-glx (for relatively new cards) or nvidia-glx-legacy (for relatively
old cards) packages to get the binary drivers. It's all well documented on
the Ubuntu wiki.

> Now, I need to sort out another drive and get Xubuntu done the same.

You know you can just install xubuntu-desktop (or for that matter
ubuntu-desktop) on kubuntu (and vice versa) to get the "other" desktop
environments. You can then run one at a time by choosing the one you
want from the "session" menu on logon. Alternatively you can logon multiple
times and have one session on kubuntu, one on xubuntu and one on ubuntu if
you really wanted - and have enough memory :D

> Erm, how I do allow root log in from the graphical log in on Kubuntu?
> The same option does not seem to be there that is with Ubuntu :-(

Why do you want to logon as root?

Logon as yourself then run root terminal from the menu, or open a terminal
and type sudo -s.

Cheers,
Al.