[Wolves] So who was it said SuSE 10.1 was crap?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 10:43:50 BST 2006

Hi All

Well I upgraded my SuSE box to 10.1 on Tuesday night, as Aq will testify I'm a
lazy sod and couldn't be arsed to do a fresh install which would have meant
re-installing all the crap I have loaded.

I have a video7 19" inch monitor that makes things really intersting when I
switch on I can see the POST screen, I can see GRUB if I choose Windows I can
see the start up process but.....

If I choose SuSE the screen goes blank and I get "Signal out of range" now its
not a problem we're used to it, wait for a bit and the log-in screen appears
and all is well.

This does cause one major problem, when selecting install the screen goes
blank "Signal out of range" so obviously I can't see what to select :(

Solution, hook up a crappy 15" inch Monitor use that to do the install
everything went fine until it came to the re-boot, no display on the 15"
inch!! OK swapped back to the 19" inch HOORAY lubbley 10.1

I have to say the desktop start-up its awful I knew it now takes 1 minute to
load which is appalling, I only had three problems which is good when you
think about it.

1. My desktop wallpaper Gone (Not the girls??) easy enough to solve
2. Machine wouldn't switch off, my fault I'd disabled acpi, twonk!!
3. Machine refused to update--->

No:3 is interesting and is possibly where most of the problems on the SuSE
mailing list came from. you need to run the connection and update checker
during the install/upgrade this will run a configuration script, I didn't run
it  (Never have at install) so when I tried to update it failed.

Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser I had a look in Yast sure
enough there was the option to run the script which I did then used the
Online-Update after that the normal update widget was working again.

At the last Lug meeting I highlighted the fact that SuSE now require you to
register your Machine (Registering your software is still optional) on their
database this is supposedly to make updating easier and more personal that's
why they want you to run the script at install its all done automatically but
I'm not keen on Novell knowing how many machines at an IP address have SuSE
running on them.

As an honest and upright sales/marketing person I can see all sorts of
opportunity's if I was armed with that sort of information.

So far everything seems to be OK although I'm not running any of that
pointless 3D desktop stuff.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon