[Wolves] Help get me out the pooh!

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jul 18 20:09:24 BST 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 06:51:11PM +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> OK so theres me bragging about my abilities, I've gone and killed someones
> intranet and I'm in serious doo doo.

First blindingly obvious one: Can you restore it from a backup?

> The intranet looks like its run on/via something called 'Ruby Rails' I've
> never heard of it, it was running under FC4 I upgraded to FC5 and now the

Ruby is a programming language like perl or python. Rails is a framework
that makes developing Ruby applications easy. So the box will have ruby
installed on it, and will likely have some files in the apache home
directory which ruby will execute or apache will pass to ruby when users
visit the pages.

So in a nutshell you need apache to work - which basically it does, because
you're getting the test page. You also need to pick out the bits of apache
config pertaining to ruby and put them in the new config file.

What version of apache did it go from and to?

If from 1.x to 2.x then there's some major differences between them.

> bloody thing refuses to run the Apache test page is there instead for some
> reason there is an error message saying;
> "Unable to fully qualify domain name using 127.0.0.1 instead"

You can live with that. It's not the cause of your problems, it just means
the ServerName directive in the apache config file is not set correctly.

> The Apache test page can be seen from another machine so I take it that its

\o/ That's good news! Network and apache basically work.

> Initially I could do with being pointed in the right direction I cant afford
> to waste hours messing about with Ruby Rails

"I can't be arsed to learn about the problem , it just want it to work"

Unfortunately you *need* to know at least the basics of what's on a box
before you go doing a mass upgrade.

> (Which as I say I'm ignorant
> about) if its a network, webserver, name, IP address problem. I promised it
> would be back up at 2.30pm today, as it is I have to go back tomorrow. :-S

Think yourself lucky you weren't made to stay until you got it done. :)

Check the ruby package got upgraded okay. Make sure the data (web site -
database etc) is all safe too.

Might be prudent to do a backup before you frig around with it any more,
given you've got another day at it. Maybe take a usb disk with you and
backup to that first?

Will you have web access to the list during tomorrow? You could join
#lugradio and ask for help during the day there?

Cheers,
Al.