[Wolves] I just read this....

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Thu Jun 1 09:52:36 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 09:33 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:

> I've used SuSE for a number of years now however just recently I've
> really
> started to get the hump with it, simple stuff like installing
> gnomemeeting
> YAST: "lib.tuff-luck-sucker.so is not available installation cannot
> continue". SuSE 10.1 is a complete disaster (and they have the cheek
> to sell
> it!) I wont have it in the house.

Hi Peter,

I've been using SUSE 10.1 for a week or so and I haven't had any major
disagreements with it so far, although I do think my level of
expectations with Linux were dropped somewhat when I moved from Debian
to SUSE (10.0 at the time)

In my opinion the main issue is not with the way that RPM works but the
amount of officially available packages. There weren't many occasions on
Debian that I had to compile software or go to 3rd party debs to get
software I wanted. On SUSE you *have* to go to Packman or other 3rd
party RPM providers to get a decent system going.

I'd be interested to know exactly why you have banished 10.1 to the
garden shed. Why is 10.1 a "complete disaster" - it is a strong term to
use.

Thanks

~sm